Monday, October 18, 2010

Advanced Backbending Series: Wheel to Handstand



You know I would bend over backwards for you, right, yogis?  Or, in this case, I'll show you how to bend over backwards.  The video, here, is an advanced sequence that I enjoy a lot, so I thought I'd share it.  Please note: it's important to be highly proficient at wheel pose (urdhva dhanurasana) before attempting the first stage, which is simply to lift one leg and place your foot against a wall.  Over time, you'll transition into handstand, initially, with the help of a teacher or spotter.  For backbending tips of all levels, see 6 Tips for Safe Backbends.  

If there's a pose or sequence you'd like to see broken down on video (beginner or advanced), please post a comment.  

7 comments:

Unknown said...

My 5 year goal is scorpion handstand, so let's start with handstand...?

Om Gal said...

Fair enough:-)

barbarakosciewicz said...

Just stumbled on your blog and love it! Beautiful sequence.

Jessica said...

I cannot wait to try this!:)

Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen) said...

That looks like so much fun! I need a wall! I don't have a single wall in my whole loft that I could play on. I think I may need to try it against my fridge.

raman said...

All backbending techniques are good and its make peoples strong if they do these in right manner and regular intervals. for yoga details pls. visit:http://www.royalway.org

ross18miller said...

Awesome technique shared. Thank you for sharing it.

Muladhara Chakra