Friday, June 5, 2009

A Century of Playing Sports

You may recall a recent post about aging, in which I recounted chasing "Roger" around the neighborhood on my Big Wheel when he would visit his grandparents, who lived across the street. Well, wouldn't you know, his grandfather, also Roger, though we call him Pepe, is featured today on Boston.com. He's 100-years old and still playing tennis as often as he can. Pretty amazing, eh? (Check out the video clip here).


If you live to be 100, what will your life-long athletic pursuit of choice be? Yoga, tennis, walking, golf, tai chi? In your opinion, how does being active help us age more gracefully? Please share your own thoughts, examples, and insights.

1 comment:

Dish This! said...

My grandfather, who is in his 90s, and weighs like 4 pounds, still does push ups every day. I can't even do push-ups, and I'm 24.

In all seriousness though, it's definitely an inspiration. He always says he owes his good health to taking care of the trinity: mind, body, and spirit. I try to remember this in my own life.