Tuesday, March 11, 2008

What Should I Do With My Life?*

"I sometimes meet people who say, I'm going to be this and I'm going to be that. You feel kind of bad for them because they're limiting themselves. It's different from having an enthusiasm for something and seeing where life takes you. I feel lucky to never have planned to go into what I did. I always just said, 'All I want to do is make things, whether it's drawing or writing.' If I'd said, 'I'm going to be a director,' it probably wouldn't have happened."

-Excerpt from an interview with Tim Burton (Esquire, December 2007)

*What Should I Do With My Life? is also a great book by Po Bronson. It won't resolve your search for a raison d'ĂȘtre (in Sanskrit, it's called dharma, which translates to mean "sacred duty"), but it will help you sort through the career paths that inspire you.

No comments: