Thursday, May 20, 2010

Like a DJ, I Take Requests

Tonight, it came to my attention that there was a strong contingent of teenagers in my class. I'd even guess that they were in the same age vicinity as I was when I first started practicing yoga at 16. Three inspiring gals enjoyed a quote I read to conclude the practice, so here it is, per their request. Rock on, ladies; you have a long and lovely yoga path ahead!

I believe that only one person in a thousand knows the trick to really living in the present. Most of us spend 59 minutes an hour living in the past, with regret for lost joys, or shame for things badly done (both utterly useless and weakening)--or in the future, which we either long for or dread. Yet the past is gone beyond prayer, and every minute you spend in the vain effort to anticipate the future is a moment lost.

There is only one world, the world pressing against you at this minute. There is only one minute in which you are alive, this minute--here and now. The only way to live is by accepting each minute as an unrepeatable miracle. Which is exactly what it is--a miracle and unrepeatable.

-Storm Jameson

5 comments:

Maria said...

That's an amazing quote, thanks so much for sharing it ! :D

Jenn said...

I liked this quote, though I always find encouragement to not think about past or future very confusing - isn't that how we learn and plan? Perhaps it means - think about them, that's fine, but do so without regret, longing, etc.

I also saw your tweets with quotes from the Dalai Lama and Emerson - both encouraging us to know our direction, and to think long term.

AH! How does that work in combination with this quote? Again, I guess it is the energy we bring to these thoughts, and the way they make us feel in the present. If we feel inspired and motivated, great. If not, then I guess that is when we "let them go."

Maybe?

Om Gal said...

Agreed. It can seem conflicted or contradictory, but I think there's a difference between "thinking holistically and long-term" (a la the Dalai Lama) and "longing" to be in the future. It's important to have goals and visions, but we can only affect change by living and acting in the present moment. Thank you, Jen & Maria!

dfg said...

I really like this quote. It reminds once again that I should just smile rather than get all bent out of shape by events predicated on the past. They only own me if I let them. So true also, yearning for a future that I can't control. I get a spark of wisdom sometimes that things just have to unfold as they will. It's tough to hold on to that insight but meditation and yoga help. I very much enjoy that being alive fully here and now concept. Today, this moment, as always is a gift of the Universe. Hopefully I'm learning to accept it more graciously.

Jen M. said...

love this quote, and also still loving your friend's shared quote "nothing is worth more than this day"