Saturday, August 22, 2009

I Have Not Been Kidnapped . . .


Nor did I permanently join the ashram at which I spent my 30th birthday. I wasn't picked up by pirates off the coast of Cape Cod, and, though reluctantly, I did eventually leave my friend's farm in upstate New York to return to my home in Boston. (I was sure to raid the local farm stand one last time before hitting the road, and I will tell you this: I had not lived until I tried homemade cherry jam).

My apologies for the sporadic posting schedule of late. I promise normal blogging activity will resume ASAP. In the meantime, here's a quote from a new book of quotes given to me by my dear friend and fellow yoga teacher, Coeli, who helped me cap off a week (nay, more like a month) of birthday celebrations, with an exquisite vegetarian meal at a charming restaurant in Cambridge last night.

This quote is part of a compilation called Breathing on Your Own, and I think it captures well the feeling of being awake . . .

"Look! This is your world! You can't not look. There is no other world. This is your world; it is your feast. You inherited this; you inherited these eyeballs; you inherited this world of color. Look at the greatness of the whole thing. Look! Don't hesitate. Open your eyes. Don't blink."

-Chogyam Trungpa

1 comment:

dfg said...

A favorite quote of mine that follows along this line...

Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens. ~Carl Jung