Monday, June 2, 2008

Om Gal Recommends Running Tunes


In reference to a recent post on running, a request was made for some tips on workout tunes- at which point I went "radio silent," uneasy about the prospect of revealing such intimate details as my musical taste. [If I don't tread carefully, the fact that I dig that Miley Cyrus song might surface]. I secretly hoped that a fellow reader would take the reigns by recommending some foolproof jams to make you want to move your body, kick up your feet, and crank out an extra mile or two.

Alas, I'm destined to go it alone for the betterment of the blogosphere . . . Okay, not really, it just seemed like a good question with some fun, possible answers. Here are a few of the upbeat picks on heavy rotation on my iPod. Please add your own!

Crank it up:

Crazy, Alanis Morissette: You might recognize this one from The Devil Wears Prada or the 90s hit by Seal. Either way, it's fabulous.

Get Ur Freak On, Missy Elliott: Few do body movin' beats like Missy. It's impossible not to pick up the pace to this one. It's also near impossible to resist singing the saucy lyrics aloud- for me, at least.

Stronger, Kayne West: Say what you will about the size of his ego; his music is unmatched. Before making his own hits, he engineered beats for Jay-Z and others. The man's got talent, and the song's got you lapping that kid on the Big Wheel around Castle Island at least twice.

Hollaback Girl, Gwen Stefani: An irresistible rhythm and a message to boot. Om gals, if you listen to no other piece of advice dispensed herein, let is be thus: Be nobody's hollaback girl. Ever.

Umbrella, Rhianna: The perfect song to put a spring in your step in any type of weather.

Die Another Day, Madonna: Translation: Don't stop yet. Keep running.

I'm Shipping Up to Boston, The Dropkick Murphy's: Thanks to The Departed, Papelbon's Irish jig [see photo above], and, now, the Celtics, this testosterone-filled jam is getting tired for some. I'm still running on its fumes, which is particularly fun through the streets of Southie.

99 Problems, Jay-Z: This one is for the boys. There's nothing Zen about it. If you must swagger, this is the song, and a workout is the place to do it.

Always on My Mind, Pet Shop Boys: Confession? I swiped this one from the playlist of a spinning teacher at the Copley BSC. Crank it up; your feet will surely follow.

Cool it down:

Used to Love U, John Legend: A former Boston resident, this guy is equally smooth when performing in person. This song is a great transitional song- from running to walking or being in a relationship to breaking up, as the title suggests.

Snow (Hey Oh), Red Hot Chili Peppers: I simply cannot maintain an ornery or unpleasant mood if this song is playing. I challenge you to try the same.

Man in the Mirror, Michael Jackson: If you close your eyes, it sounds like 1988, and Jacko looks less startling.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Om Gal! Time for bed, long day ahead, but I will respond because I love making a good mix for working out.

On top of "Umbrella" - I think that any Rihanna "Pon de replay" and "SOS" and her new-ish Good Girl Gone Bad album keep me moving.

"Shake" by the Ying Yang twins, "Ms. New Booty" by Bubba Sparxx and "Money Maker" by Ludacris all remind me of what I am working on - my awesome beats and rap career...not my bottom ahem...who am I kidding?

Nelly Furtado's "Maneater" motivates and any Fergie or Black Eyed Peas makes you want to work it non-stop.

Usually at the end I will play some slow country or oldies, Neil Diamond, usually, but that's really more of a personal preference.

Now good night!

dfg said...

Just got back from a run. Here are some of my favorites

First mile motivators :

Cowboy by Kid Rock - misogyny aside, the beat is infectious(not so sure about the Kid)

I Feel Good by James Brown - nobody moves slow to the Godfather of Soul

Hanging Around by the Counting Crowes - this is my break out and start singing song

At cruising altitude :

Aja by Steely Dan - lots of rhythm and space to open things up

Wiri-Wiri by Youssou N'Dour - this takes me out of my head and off to places far away

Hey Jealousy by the Gin Blossoms - bringing it all back home.

For walking it off :

Blue by Joni Mitchell - this resonates with my mood lately.

"Songs are like tattoos, you know I've been to sea before"

Anonymous said...

Gwen Stefani - Bubble Pop Electric

(only when on the highest level of stairmaster... )

Dish This! said...

dish gal recommends "galvanize" by the chemical brothers and "temperature" by sean paul...

Unknown said...

For me it usually depends on my mood. I have to say, my music taste while running/yoga waivers from upbeat reggae such as Rocker T (gotta skip over the slower tracks, talking tracks and those that discuss smoking pot...not the most motivational), older skool hardcore - anything by 'At The Drive In' pretty much gets me going! Lately I've been digging a variety of intelligent and poetic hip hop verses...going heavy on Brother Ali's Undisputed Truth - often vibe and flow with anything Atmosphere for yoga. That's what I've been feeling these days. Also been known to dip into some Rancid, 311, Incubus (it's been a while though, so keep that sorta in back pockets) - oooh! for biking I love instrumental Groove Armada, Greyboy Allstars - and back to running The New Deal can hit it right on some days...I could probably go on for a minute! These days, strictly Hip Hop, Talib Kweli, Brother Ali, Atmosphere and some of the hits...mmmmmusic <3

Anonymous said...

My new fav for running is Impossible by Shout Out Louds. It's funny how a song can reach through and touch you especially when you're kicking out some serious btu's.

You should definitely try a marathon. It's a place where the heart, the body and the will go for a serious conversation...

Anonymous said...

notorious b.i.g. | hypnotize | past pre-race song | EVER | + anything by the killers

Anonymous said...

past pre-race song? huh?
no, BEST pre-race song!