Sunday, October 25, 2009

Reader Query: Recommended Translation of the Yoga Sutras

Hey Rebecca!

So youre always talking about The Yoga Sutras, and it made me realize that I am long overdue in reading it. I searched The Yoga Sutras on Amazon.com, but it pulled up like a million (OK, not really a million) hits. Is there a particular version that you recommend? It seems like some have forewords or commentaries by other yogis... Is one more enlightening than the other? Help. Im confused.


Thanks!

Jill


Hi Jill,

Indeed, your

confusion is justified! Like many ancient texts, there are several translations of The Yoga Sutras from which to choose. The version that I have and to which I often refer is this one, with a foreword by Sri Swami Satchidananda.


I perused some of the others listed on Amazon and a few more piqued my interest:


  • Finally, I always consider yoga resources by B.K.S. Iyengar to be trustworthy, thorough, and clear. His version would likely be a sure bet as well.
I hope that helps, Jill. It's not a definitive answer because I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above options. I like my version very much, but perhaps you want to surf the prices and research the yogis who contribute to each respective translation to see if you gravitate toward one in particular.

Happy reading!
Rebecca

No comments: