Saturday, August 23, 2008

A Running Workout to Beat the Heat or Recent Apocalyptic Thunderstorms


As you may know, I've been coerced by my om gal pal, E, to run a 24-hour adventure relay in New Hampshire next month. While I'm fairly certain I'm going to die and question my sanity for agreeing to participate in such a masochistic endeavor (om gals can be so persuasive, no?), training for it has been- I dare say- a fun and fulfilling experience in its own right. The following indoor workout has been my go-to routine of choice this summer when the weather or my knees are being uncooperative. Of course, I can't take credit for devising this run-like-antelope-indoors, knee-saving, calorie-incinerating routine. It's another Jack Fultz special.

Hop on the Arc Trainer* at your gym, (I'm beginning to think this piece of cardio equipment is the sleeper hit of every health club around), and press Quick Start. Immediately increase the incline to 5 (the resistance level will automatically set to 15). Maintain a Strides Per Minute cadence of 160, for 10-15 minutes. Next, increase the incline to 6 and the resistance to 25. In turn, amp up your strides to 170. Do this for one minute. Then, return to the previous setting. I try to continue these intervals for 20-30 minutes. You won't be able to leisurely read a magazine or gab with your neighbor on the Stairmaster, but you will get a killer workout on par with logging a substantial number of miles at a good clip without the impact on your knees or exposure to the elements. Happy running!

* If given the option of using an Arc with or without moving handle bars, use the one WITHOUT. You want to simulate running; there are no handle bars involved in running.

No comments: